Friday, July 27, 2012

Easy DIY Journal Tutorial

DIY Journals
With only a few household supplies, you can create your own personalized journals by yourself. Use your notebook as a way to keep reminders, give a gift, or write a story.  Stash them in pockets, purses, or backpacks and whenever you need paper, they'll be there!

The process I use to make these journals is very easy and relaxing.  In fact, it will hardly take any brainwork at all.  The best part though, is that you can personalize them according to your own unique style.  I love using pretty little stickers, quotes, and ribbons to accessorize mine, but you can do whatever you want!  I hope you'll enjoy creating these as much as I did.  Let's get started.

What You'll Need:

Supply List
  • Scissors
  • Embroidery thread and needle
  • Card stock (or any thick paper)
  • Patterned tape
  • Paper (lined, graph, plain, etc.)

Cutting Paper
Step One:  Cut paper and card stock to desired size (the example above is 8.5"x 5.5"), align them together, and then fold in half.

Outer Binding
Inside Binding
Step Two:  Using the needle and embroidery floss, stitch through the middle of the journal, leaving the ends free on the outside.

Tape Binding
Step Three:  Finish off by applying tape along the outer edge, making sure to hide the embroidery floss.

Finished Journals
Step Four (Optional):  Accessorize with stickers and ribbon and you're done!

What are some ways you're planning to decorate your own journals?

I'd love to hear about all the unique styles everyone can bring to this project.

Happy crafting,

Kelly

1 comment:

  1. Kelly,
    My aunt led me to your blog. :-)
    I love to create my own journals too! I usually just take a composition book and cover it in scrapbook paper and then add stickers, sequins, felt cut-outs, etc. I have a blog too, but mine isn't really for crafting stuff. Its more for school-type stuff. Here is a link to it.
    http://our-homeschooled-life.blogspot.com/
    Savannah

    ReplyDelete